ADVOCACY PLATFORM FOR ACTION
See our full platform here: YWCA Advocacy Platform (PDF)
YWCA Union County believes that the following themes are central to the empowerment of women and girls in Union County, and intersect with one another. Therefore the YWCA Union County is committed to raising awareness, providing education, promoting inclusion and building coalitions for all people, regardless of race, gender, class, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, immigration status, as well as underrepresented populations and protected classes. We will provide advocacy on the following:
RACIAL JUSTICE AND CIVIL RIGHTS – INCREASING THE EQUAL PROTECTIONS AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES OF PEOPLE OF COLOR.
- Research and address disparate treatment in law enforcement and judicial response for women and girls of color who are victims of domestic violence;
- Advocate for comprehensive immigration reform and support for immigration related issues.
ADVANCE EDUCATION AND ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT FOR WOMEN AND GIRLS
- Advocate for legislation and policies that address the gender wage gap;
- Advocate for strengthened, available, affordable and accessible child care as well as flexible workplace policies that promote work-life balance for women;
- Support and advocate for increased opportunities for education and employment for women and girls.
IMPROVE THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF WOMEN AND GIRLS
- Advocate for legislation that strengthens domestic violence protections and addresses legal loopholes in existing domestic violence protections;
- Collaborate with other domestic violence organizations in NJ to advocate for increased funding for services to support DV victims;
- Promote and support women’s rights to access affordable and comprehensive health care and legislation that respects bodily autonomy;
- Advocate for the removal of legal barriers for women who are seeking assistance from the courts and the police;
- Advocate for affordable housing availability and policies that do not exclude victims of DV and other people living in poverty.